The Baby Bean Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Week 20 Progress Report

We've made it to the halfway point. You're halfway baked, my little bean!

Maybe I shouldn't call you my little bean anymore. You've gotten to be quite a big bean since the week 5 and week 10 progress reports I wrote. At week 5, you were a teeny-tiny bean, barely over 1 mm. At week 10, you'd grown into a very good sized bean, about 1.5 inches. Now, at week 20, you're about 6 inches from crown to rump. That's one big bean!

So what have you been up to since the last progress report at week 10? By week 12, you were completely formed, although your organs obviously needed to mature a lot. In the first quarter of your gestation, your head was very large in proportion to the rest of your body. Now you're starting to look like a baby, although you're still very thin. For the last week or so, you've really be concentrating on fattening up rather than getting longer, and from what I've read, it looks like you will continue a pattern of growth in length followed by layering on some more fat in preparation for your next growth spurt.

You've really been moving around a lot in the past week. Of course, you've been moving around a lot for a long time now, but only since week 19 have I been able to feel you in there kicking and punching and turning and giving your muscles a good work out. The first few days after I knew it was you poking around inside me, I only felt you move about once a day, usually after I ate dinner. But the last few days, I've felt you in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening. Sometimes I can't help but think it's a little weird, that you are inside me, bee-bopping around. It's not just me. It's me and you. Feeling you moving has really brought that to my attention.

We've been talking to you a little bit, but starting this week, we're going to make more of an effort to talk to you since you're brain has developed enough that you can hear and even recognize our voices. Will we put headphones playing Mozart onto my tummy, pumping straight to you the type of music I've never really liked but always felt like I would be a better person if I did? Will you like it if I play it for you now, in utero?

Besides being able to hear us, you've been busy putting on little flourishes like fingerprints, fingernails and toenails, and growing hair, including eyebrows and eye lashes. You've also started to practice breathing, inhaling the amniotic fluid that surrounds you and then exhaling it, stregthening your lungs and diaphram.

I can't wait to meet you. 20 more weeks seems like a long time to wait. I know I have to be patient. As your other mother tells me, we wouldn't want you to be born now, would we? No, of course not. We want you to stay right where you are and hope that the time flies until mid-August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home