The Baby Bean Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Not So Easy Anymore

I've had a pretty easy pregnancy thus far. I never threw up. I guess that's sort of the big thing I focus on when thinking about the ease of my pregnancy. No throwing up constantly for three or four months. Sounds extremely unpleasant. There are a whole host of other things I could have experienced, too, that I didn't, and perhaps because I didn't experience them, I don't remember all of what they were. But I remember reading about then in pregnancy books and from women on various bulletin boards. And I remember thinking, "Whew, I don't have to deal with that either. Lucky me." My biggest complaint in the first trimester was extreme fatigue. Luckily, since I don't work, I was able to sleep about as much as I wanted to, so that wasn't totally horrible. The biggest complaint in the second trimester was that my back decided to revolt against me. Other than that, pretty easy. At least that's how I remember it. Maybe I should re-read this blog and see if I'm blocking anything out. Another time, perhaps. Now I want to focus on my current situation, which sucks.

I dodged the first trimester and second trimester woes, by and large. But I seem to be getting hit with all the "normal" symptoms people experience in the third trimester. For one, I believe that my ankles have joined a witness protection program. I see them very infrequently now. Usually, they are buried under the fluid that has now taken up residence in my feet. I've never been particularly attached to my ankles, or at least I didn't think I was. Now I realize how much I really did love them. I realize that I had a lot of pride in my feet in general. I had very attractive feet. Now they are very bloated and pig-like.

And speaking of my feet, they have decided that I should only stand on them for a maximum of 5 minutes. After that, they start to hurt. And the pain escalates very, very quickly. By the time I've been standing on them for 10 minutes, I start thinking about sitting on the floor while in a check out line. I look around, and it seems completely logical that, rather than stand while the person in front of me has approximately 132 items put into bags, I should just sit on the floor.

A little bit on the unusual side, I have also developed carpal tunnel syndrome. Didn't know there was such a thing as pregnancy related carpal tunnel syndrome? Neither did I. But my pregnancy books and those bbs's confirm that I am far from alone. I guess what's going on is that all the extra fluid in my system (my blood volume has increased by 40-50% by now) has also affected that little part of my wrist. And it's not fun. My midwife tells me it will probably get worse but that it will also go away two to three weeks after I give birth. Uh, that's nine or ten weeks from now.

Have I mentioned the insomnia? My ability to sleep through the night has gone bye-bye. It's not about back pain or anything like that. It's about waking up at 3:00am for no apparent reason. Luckily, again, I don't have to work, so I can get up and watch TV or a movie or read a book for two hours or so, by which time I'm generally able to go back to sleep. But it is annoying. Just yesterday morning I was thinking to myself, "Oh, in two more months, I won't be pregnant anymore so then I'll be able to sleep through the night." Then I realized with horror that I probably would not be sleeping through the night again for THE NEXT YEAR OR TWO. Not because I would be incapable of sleep. Oh no. Because I'll have a little person WHO WANTS TO EAT.

This last bit might be more information that you would like, but too bad. I've also gotten hemorrhoids. This displeases me GREATLY. Not so much the fact that they're there, because they're not particularly symptomatic (not burning and itching very infrequently) but because I am getting to the stage of my pregnancy where I will start having internal exams. The last thing I want is to take off my shorts, spread my legs, and have my hemorrhoids out there for someone else to see. I would rather dig a hole in the dirt, crawl in, pull the dirt back over top of me, and not resurface until the hemorrhoids have retreated back to their designated place--namely, OUT OF SIGHT.

That's all I can come up with for right now. At least I'm in the homestretch. Sometimes that's a comfort. Sometimes it seems a long time away. Maybe women get so miserable in the last trimester so that we will be ready to actually have the baby just to make it all stop. Gets us over the fear of childbirth or something like that.

3 Comments:

  • Gosh, I never realized before how much late stage pregnancy is just like old age. But the prize at the end is much, much better. Sorry you're having these problems, kiddo. How's your blood pressure holding up? I had toxemia and was pre-eclamptic for months when I had Older Sonny. Bed, meds, no ankles, no knees, no damn fun. I had to have complete bed-rest for a few months. Nothing would fit. Even my husband's shoes gave up on me (and it was winter). It's unfortunate that your last couple of months will be in the sweltering months of summer. Good thing you get to go swimming. Be of good cheer! It won't be that much longer now and it will all be with it! You'll see... ~:^)

    By Blogger foxymama, at 4:04 PM, June 29, 2005  

  • I never got to the point of being miserable during my third trimester, but I do remember the swelling in my feet and ankles. The swelling from my ankles went away after birth, but my feet never did get back to their original size. I'm also convinced that my head grew larger and has never returned to its original size either. And I mean that literally!

    My boys were sleeping through the night when they were 3 months old. Well, they were sleeping 6 hours anyway. But then when they hit 4 or 5 they started waking up in the middle of the night again. I've heard mothers say that once you have children, you NEVER have a good night's sleep again. Unfortunately, it's looking more and more like that's the case for me.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 4:23 PM, July 01, 2005  

  • Foxy, You're right that late stage pregnancy is like old age. Now when I see older women around, I cannot help but notice the similarities. We get up and down from chairs the same way. We move at about the same pace. And usually, our ankles are in the same state of affairs. To answer your question about blood pressure, I've been doing fine on that count. So this swelling is just water retention and not to do with pre-e, thank god. Although I do worry about that, so I ended up buying a blood pressure thing for home so I can check it when the swelling is particularly bad and I start to freak out about that....

    Kerrie, I am worried that my feet will be bigger after all this is said and done. I have so many shoes that I've loved and missed that the idea that I won't be able to wear then again is a bit upsetting. I guess time will tell. I can't imagine how you managed not to get miserable at the end of your pregnancy--especially since you were carrying twins! But I guess some women have it that way. The third trimester is great. Not for me. Not at all.

    By Blogger Oz, at 9:01 AM, July 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home