The Baby Bean Blog

Monday, June 13, 2005

Week 30 Progress Report

Oh, oh, the big THREE-OH! Wow, week 30. It seems big, significant. Only 10 weeks to go. I'm three quarters of the way through...well, creating you.

At week 20, you were about 6 inches from crown to rump and you weighed in around 9 ounces. Since then, you've grown almost twice that in length, being around 11 inches now, and at about 3 pounds, you weigh five times what you did then.

The bones in your inner ear in have hardened, making it possible for you to hear both me and some of the noises going on outside my body. From what I've read, you should be somewhat used to the sound of dogs barking from hearing them in utero, which is a good thing. Supposedly, after you are born, if you are napping, you might sleep right through the ruckus that comes with the arrival of the mail (you will learn that the dogs think that the mailman is pure evil). I've got my fingers crossed on that.

Your other senses have also developed further. For instance, your eyes can now move this way and that way in their sockets; they can open and close; and it's possible for you to distinguish between sunlight and artificial light. With an early June heat wave here already, I've taken to pulling my t-shirt up to reveal my tummy to the air...and to the light. At first, this was a sure way to stop you from moving. You seemed intimidated by the red glow that probably filtered through to your newly sensitive eyes. But now the light doesn't seem to bother you as much, and you're willing to keep kicking. I have to admit that I love watching my stomach move as you stretch and kick and roll around inside me.

In addition to hearing and sight, taste has also developed with your taste buds, which allow you to taste, through the amniotic fluid, whatever it is that I've eaten. I have to admit that I'm concerned that you will be born with a sweet tooth. Apparently, I'm supposed to eat a lot of vegetables and other goodies like that so that you will develope a taste for them now. So I'll say it now: Mommy is sorry if you hate vegetables down the road, and you can blame her for that in about two years or so when you are capable of talking.

Since you were a fully formed little person at 12 weeks, you've been maturing your organs, especially your lungs. Another organ that has been busy developing is your brain. It started off being pretty smooth and homogeneous. Now it is getting more and more wrinkled as connections are formed between nerves and your brain becomes more powerful. As your brain grows, it's pushing your soft skull bones outward, but your body's growth is so rapid now that your head, even though it's growing, is staying in proportion to your body.

So here we are in the third trimester. Your main job is to keep maturing...and to put on weight. Mommy is very jealous that you will get to double if not triple your current weight in the next 10 weeks, and rather than being distraught, everyone will be estatic. You see, most of us spend our time trying to keep the fat off, not trying to put it on like crazy. You lucky little bean, you.

2 Comments:

  • Congrats on reaching the big three-oh, and I hope the next 10 weeks go without a hitch.

    (Just to clarify, Foxymama wasn't the only person to read all through your last post. (But I have only just gone back through to see who left a comment.))

    By Anonymous Fyse, at 6:58 PM, June 13, 2005  

  • Thanks, Fyse. 10 weeks to go. Seems like a long time and a short time all at once!

    By Blogger Oz, at 8:34 AM, June 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home