The Baby Bean Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Bloody Show

Yesterday morning, when I woke up and when to the bathroom, there was some pink tinged discharge on my toilet paper. I knew that it was probably what they call "bloody show," but I called the midwife anyway because you're supposed to for any vaginal bleeding. She basically confirmed that it was probably a sign that my mucus plug was coming out. I was quite excited. A little bit concerned, too, because I haven't experienced any bleeding with this pregnancy, but I just told myself it was a good sign. I had some bright red spotting later that morning, and then all afternoon, I had brown spotting. I wore a panty liner all day, but nothing much got on it except a few spots.

As for my mucus plug, I don't know if I dilated enough for it to come out because I never found any clumps. I'm sure I would have noticed the whole plug if it had fallen out intact. So who knows exactly what is going on with that whole scene. At my next prenatal appointment next week, I'm going to ask for an internal exam to see if I have dilated some yet or not.

One of my pregnancy books said that after a bloody show and losing your mucus plug, you'll probably go into labor within 24-48 hours. That sounds good to me right about now, although I don't have my labor bag completely packed yet. But I know from reading various pregnancy boards that you can lose your mucus plug and then just stay pregnant for quite some time--weeks and weeks--afterwards. So I'm not getting my hopes up too high. I'm just trying to say to myself that this is a sign that some dilation is occuring, and that means we're on the right track.

2 Comments:

  • Hmmmn, I have nothing to offer here. Too long ago. But you must be a riot at a dinner party... ~;^) I'm thinking good thoughts for you, kid. And I'm getting anxious as heck. My mother used to call me and say "I think we're in labor now because I'm getting pains, aren't you gone yet?" Now I know how she felt. Gosh this is exciting... ~:^)

    By Blogger foxymama, at 6:07 PM, August 11, 2005  

  • I am pregnant with my third, due on 10/11/05 and I have been having a "bloody show" for two days now, since my doc stripped my membranes. He said if it was going to work it would in 24-48 hours, I have a feeling I'll be getting induced next week. I don't think a bloody show or the loss of the mucous plug is any sign of pending labor. I will hope for you, but it doesn't seem to make a difference for me, I was induced with the last two as well. Good luck!!!

    By Anonymous Amanda, at 10:21 AM, October 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home