The Baby Bean Blog

Friday, August 05, 2005

Trying to Get This Party Started

I'm 38 weeks pregnant, and although I know that first babies tend to come about a week late, I'd rather that this one showed up on time or maybe even up to a week early. That would be fine with me. To help this happen, I've started doing some homeopathic stuff, upon the advice of my midwife.

Evening Primrose Oil. This is a natural form of prostaglandin, which ripens and softens the cervix, thereby helping it to thin and dilate and also helping the baby's head to settle down into the cervix (the pressure of which, in turn, helps to thin and dilate the cervix as well). Another big source of prostaglandin is found in semen, which is one of the reasons that pregnant women are encouraged to have sex with their male partner to get labor started. I, however, will stick with the little pills. I'm taking three a day, one with each meal.

Raspberry Leaf Tea. Not "raspberry tea," but raspberry leaf tea. This stuff is supposed to "tone the uterus." Basically, it doesn't get labor started, but it preps the uterus so that when labor does start, the uterus will be in good shape, be more efficient, and therefore labor will be shorter. The box of tea that I bought recommended 3 cups a day. My midwife told me I could have as much as I want, so I've been having 8 cups a day. Yes, you read that right. Why not? I brew a pot of it at night, stick it in the fridge, and then I drink it all day long. With some sugar and mixed with lemonade, it's quite tasty. And no caffeine, so I don't have to worry about that.

Those are the two things that I'm doing to help the process along. Nothing extreme, like taking castor oil. Or I read in one of my pregnancy books that there was a study done that showed that if a woman started doing nipple stimulation for three hours a day once she hit 39 weeks, she had a significantly lower chance to go past her due date. Three hours a day! That's a lot of nipple stimulation, if I do say so myself, although my partner says she is willing. By next week, I might be willing, too. And if I go past my due date, castor oil could also be in my future. That will be quite a post if I do it.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home