The Baby Bean Blog

Friday, October 14, 2005

The All Clear

Ella has given us a few scares. Well, more accurately, doctor people have given us a few scares. Some of you might remember the 20 week ultrasound where the doctor thought there might have been a problem with her kidneys. I wrote about it here, after the fact, after we found out from another doctor that her kidneys were fine. And I am repeating that pattern for some reason. I don't know why I don't write about potential problems with Ella when they happen. I guess I fear that if I write about them while they are uncertain, my writing about them will make them real, will make them happen. So I don't write about them, and then voila! I find out later that she's fine after all.

Basically, when she was born, she had a crooked foot, her left foot, and the doctors thought it was possible that she had a club foot. It was either that or her foot had just been crammed up against the side of my uterus for a couple of months. When I told my mom about it, she said, "Oh, don't worry about it, you had the same thing." So I didn't worry about it...much. Then we took her to her pediatrician when she was 8 days old for a weight check (no problems there, I assure you--this girl can EAT!) and the pediatrician thought that perhaps her entire left leg had been jammed and possibly the leg bone which connects to her hip had formed outside of the hip socket. This would require that she wear a cast over her hips for several months and/or have surgery. A club foot would require one or both of these things as well, but just on her foot. The idea of her being in a hip cast really upset me. Of course, my hormones were completely out of whack still at that point, so it didn't take much to set me over the edge.

Well, first on the agenda was to get a hip ultrasound to see what was going on there. Everything was fine. Her hips were completely normal. Thank god. It was traumatic, because she had to be held in place for about 15-20 minutes while the tech did the ultrasound, and Ella SCREAMED like I have never heard any baby ever scream. But at least it's over and her hips are okay.

Then on Wednesday, we went to see an orthopedist to have him look at her x-rays from the hospital and her actual foot. We got good news again: it's not a club foot. As it turns out, the same thing happened to her that happened to me: her foot got scrunched up against the side of my uterus, pushing it up so that the top of her foot was pressed up against her shin. The doctor said that this was often genetic, and I said, "Yup, I came out the same way." All it means is that (like me) she'll probably end up walking with her toes pointing slightly out. Not freakishly out or anything like that. Just a bit. No one has ever looked at me walk or at my feet and said, "My god, woman, what the hell is wrong with your feet?" In fact, I never knew that I had a "condition" until the doctor looked at my feet and said, "See? You've got [insert long, complicated medical term here]." So there's nothing wrong with Ella's feet, although her future as a track star is probably dim, but I've never understood people who run for pleasure anyway. My philosophy has always been that I don't run unless somebody is chasing me.

So as I stated originally, my little bean is perfect. And thankfully, the scares are over and nothing looms on the horizon. At least for now.

2 Comments:

  • I'm so glad all is well. Older sonny had to wear the big cast as his foot and leg were bent like that too. We went through 3, possibly 4 casts and the doc wouldn't saw the cast off. We had to soak it off. Oh, that was the absolute pits I can tell you..! The pits!! It takes forever. Casts don't melt or soften. It was so stressful... I'm so glad you don't have to go through that with precious little Ella.

    By Blogger foxymama, at 10:46 PM, October 18, 2005  

  • I am glad, too. I met a baby who has "hip click" and is therefore wearing the diaper cast thing. She didn't seem to mind. I guess she doesn't know any better, really, but nonetheless, I'm glad that I don't have to put Ella through it.

    By Blogger Oz, at 4:50 PM, October 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home