The Baby Bean Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Holy Crap, She's Pregnant!

So we didn't wait all the way until this morning for her to take the test. She took one last night. She went upstairs to take the test, and then she came back and said, "Well, I don't think I'm pregnant." "No line?" I asked. She shook her head. I said, "We'll see. It's still early." Her period is not due until Wednesday.

I knew that she could still be pregnant, but I doubted it, so I felt a little disappointed, and so did she. We both focused on Ella, and although we were disappointed, I don't think we were devastated. I asked her how she was feeling, and she said that she was a bit upset because she didn't "pass the test." I thought that was quite funny, but then again, she did only get one question wrong on the SATs, and that one question still bothers her.

Five minutes later, we were both upstairs and she was changing Ella's diaper while I was doing something or the other, and I went into the bathroom to wash my hands. I came out, and she said, "Did you look at the stick?" She hadn't waited the full 3 minutes you're supposed to wait before reading the test when she'd looked the first time. I said, "Oh, I forgot." I can't remember my own birthday now that Ella's here (I mean that literally), so it's not surprising to me that the test had already slipped my mind. I went back to the bathroom and picked the test up from the edge of the tub where she'd left it....and there were two lines! The reference line was dark, of course, and the second, pregnant line, was quite faint, but it was there.

I went back into the nursery and said, "I see a line." She came over and looked at the test stick still in my hand, looked at the faint line, and then asked, "Does that count?" I said, "Yes, it counts! Was it there before?" She said, "Well, yeah, but I thought that was just coming up to show you where the line would be if you were pregnant or something." I said, "Honey, there is no 'line to show you where the line would be if you're pregnant.' That line is the pregnant line, and ANY line means that you are pregnant!"

We both looked at each other. She was holding Ella by this time, the diaper already changed, and we hugged around the baby awkwardly. Frankly, we were both stunned. We had this look like I imagine a straight woman would have. You know, she's got a two month old baby and then whoops! She's pregnant again already! The look in our eyes was almost like, "How did this happen? Didn't we use protection?" Of course, we didn't, and we know exactly how this happened, but all the same, we weren't prepared. It just seemed like something we did to save ourselves a $300 storage fee, and now we're getting another baby out of it? WHAT? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? And perhaps more importantly, WHAT HAVE WE DONE?

Nonetheless, we have done it, and now we have to see if it sticks. As I wrote here and here when I tested before the arrival of my period, this pregnancy is still very fragile. She could get her period and therefore have experienced a "chemical pregnancy." (Read links for more details.) Her period is expected tomorrow, if it shows up. On Thursday morning, if it's still not here, she'll take the last test left in the box and then we'll call the doctor to go in for the official blood test.

Holy crap. She's pregnant. I'm going to be a mother! Again! We hope.

4 Comments:

  • Tentative congratulations!

    By Anonymous Fyse, at 7:43 PM, October 25, 2005  

  • Holy crap! But yay, anyway. :)

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 5:30 PM, October 26, 2005  

  • I'll save the congratulations for now but I just know they'll "stick." Wow, such excitement in your lives these days. And how much easier this one went than the last. Wow! Good luck..! ~:^)

    By Blogger foxymama, at 10:09 PM, October 26, 2005  

  • Thanks, everyone. It's pretty exciting. Overwhelming, too. Doesn't it seem like this just happened out of nowhere? Last time, I seeped in every agonizing detail. This time, it was more like, "Oh, right, there's the insemination today." Crazy world we live in. Crazy world.

    By Blogger Oz, at 9:24 AM, October 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home