The Baby Bean Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Television Debate

Ella has started to be interested in television. She's two months old, and she likes to watch those fast-changing images flicker across the black box. Just like Mommy. In fact, Mommy loves television. I've got the TV on just about all day long. I'm not watching it necessarily all day long, but I like having it on in the background. I'm like an old person that way, except I don't have my TV defaulted to CNN or MSNBC. I prefer ESPN. So in some ways, I look at Ella watching TV and I think, "Aw, she takes after me."

On the other hand, I don't think that children should watch TV all day long. They should be doing other, more productive, more active things. Of course, I should be doing other, more productive, more active things too, but that's another issue.

At the same time, when she's happily watching TV, she's happily doing something. I love it when she's happily doing something, doing anything. Especially if that something does not involve me carrying her and walking her around. Which is nice and all, but this girl is heavy and I have a bad back. So sitting together, rocking on the rocking chair and watching Sportscenter is quite pleasant.

But I know, I know, I've got to limit it. How much exactly, I'm not sure. My cousin-in-law allows her 2 year old to watch half an hour of television a week. A WEEK! I don't know if I can manage that or not, but perhaps some middle ground.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home