The Baby Bean Blog

Monday, May 22, 2006

All About Food

Last week was one of those crazy weeks where I felt sick the entire time, and my partner was out of town, and the baby refused to sleep, and it was just madness, I tell you. Madness! But now it's a new week, and it's time to re-dedicate myself to this blog. On top of that, I'm going to assign a theme to this week, and the theme is food.

I've been meaning to write about food for a while, because it's become something of an issue. Ella seemed really into her first meal. I thought that she was going to just chow down from there on out and not stop. I was actually afraid that she might wean from breastfeeding, and the reason that scared me a bit was because I also intend to breastfeed the Expected One, but that is premised on the fact that I'll still have milk. So the idea that I might be dried up before the Expected One got here was concerning to me. (I'm not going to go into the whole thing about breastfeeding Little Two because that's a post to itself. Basically, both my partner and I will both breastfeed him/her, and this will keep me from having to make bottles all day long and my partner from having to pump at work.)

Well, I need not have worried. Ella is far, far from weaning. In fact, she barely eats anything other than breastmilk. She seems to have no interest whatsoever in the food we offer her. We've managed to go through about ten different foods, and her favorites are prunes and pears. But even those, she'll reject as soon as eat.

At her nine month check-up last week, I talked to the nurse practitioner (who we saw because our regular doctor is out on maternity leave) about what's been going on with food. She said we can move onto finger foods, and I think that Ella might prefer them. She likes to do things on her own as opposed to having things happen to her, like having clothes put on her, or her diaper changed, or food being put in her mouth.

Then I read an article that basically said to let your baby feed him/herself from your plate. (Obviously, it's more involved than that, and if you are interested in the details, by all means, read the article.) So I'm going to do that. The big problem with this method is that I eat a lot of crap, and I would never let Ella eat the kind of sugary/salty/processed junk that I eat. So now I've got to eat better, too. Damn kids.

4 Comments:

  • I'm guessing you probably ate like a health nut during your pregnancy, right? Is your partner eating like a health nut during her pregnancy? Maybe you could eat like a pregnant woman through the remainder of her pregnancy? Or something.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 7:40 PM, May 22, 2006  

  • I bet she would like finger foods better. My kids never really liked baby food.

    By Blogger Jenn, at 9:09 AM, May 23, 2006  

  • Kerrie, I could eat better, and I should. It just takes planning. The thing about processed/salty/sugary crap is that it is very easy to obtain and then to eat the instant you need to eat. Healthier food tends to take preparation, and I don't seem to have much time for that these days.

    Jenn, Well, she definitely likes playing with them better. Not so much on the eating yet, but we'll see....

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:13 PM, May 23, 2006  

  • thanks for the link to the article.

    By Blogger marta, at 9:57 AM, May 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home