The Baby Bean Blog

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Comedy of Bananas

So, excited about the new approach of offering Ella finger foods, I ran out to the grocery store to get appropriate food items for her. I got some new stuff that she hadn't had before, but I also got some foods that she had liked in the past. One of them was bananas, which she had never been crazy about, but which she had eaten. The pears would need time to ripen, and the prunes would still have to be stewed and pureed. So bananas it was to be.

I wanted the pieces to be of a size that she could pick up with her fingers. I also wanted them to be smallish, because Ella is obsessed with picking up small things right now. Nothing makes her happier than to sit on our carpet and pluck out the lint. This I like, because it validates my desire not to vacuum more often. So bite-sized banana pieces it was.

I cut the banana into fairly thin slices, about the thickness of a nickel, more or less. Then I cut them into quarters. I did all of this right on the highchair tray because I'm really big on not using more dishes than strictly necessary.

I snapped the tray into place in front of Ella, and then I put the knife in the sink and pulled a chair around to sit in front of her. She was busy pushing the banana pieces around the tray, which was not at all surprising to me. She was having fun. Or was she?

I sat down opposite her, and I went to pick up a banana piece to eat, because I was making this a shared meal so she'd get the idea that we, as humans, eat things other than the liquid which is squirted out of Mommy's nipples. I identified a banana piece, put my index finger on one side of it, and my thumb on the other. Then I tried to pick it up. Notice I said "tried." As I quickly found out, this was almost an impossible task.

I had no idea that picking a banana piece up off of a plastic tray could be like that scene in the Karate Kid where the old guy is trying to catch a fly with chopsticks. Except in my version, I never got to be like Ralph Macchio and catch one of the damn things.

Those banana pieces were little, frickin' Houdinis! You tried to pick one up, and they just squished right out. Although your fingers could not get any traction on them whatsoever, they were like glue on the plastic highchair tray, except it was some kind of glue that allowed them to slide all over the place. It was really quite funny.

I couldn't even pick one up, and here this was supposed to entice Ella to eat. It was kind of like, "Here, doesn't this look good? Don't you want one? Just kidding! Ha ha!"

I finally forced the banana bits onto a butter knife and ate them. Ella watched suspiciously and then demanded to be taken out of the highchair. Can't say I blamed her.

3 Comments:

  • Yeah, that probably looked odd to her. "Mommy's eating my new toys!"

    By Blogger Jenn, at 9:21 AM, May 24, 2006  

  • lol to jenn's comment!

    i enjoyed your description of the banana glue :)

    do you think ella would be interested in bigger pieces of banana?

    By Blogger marta, at 9:56 AM, May 25, 2006  

  • She has nibbled a bit on larger banana pieces. Now I just eat from a banana and offer her a turn after every bite. Sometimes, like I said, she nibbles a bit. It's something.

    By Blogger Oz, at 9:49 AM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home