The Baby Bean Blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Paying Now for Happy and Quiet

Well, Ella is sick again. What fun! She's not feverish or incredibly miserable. Just that fussiness that seems to go on and on and on. The biggest problem is that she's super congested, and that means that being horizontal is a no-no, and that means that sleeping for any length of time is a no-no. Lucky me! Now she's having diarrhea. And here I was about to switch to cloth diapers. Thank God that order was delayed.

Ella certainly isn't sick all the time, but she's sick enough to annoy me. I thought that by breastfeeding her and keeping her at home (i.e. not at daycare where germs supposedly abound), she would be relatively illness free. But no such luck. She's been sick three times in nine months.

I looked at her yesterday, and I said, "Okay, enough is enough." I explained the breastfeeding/no daycare situation to her, and then I asked her to account for these illnesses she's had. She refused to answer. Stubborn! I was left to ponder this conundrum without any input from her. I went to sleep last night, no closer to the answer.

Then today I was on the train, heading into the city. She was sitting beside me, and then she lunged forward towards the arm rest, lowered her head, and wrapped her entire mouth around it. She sat there, leaning sharply over, sucking on the arm rest. I saw this and thought about the incomprehensible number of hands that had touched that arm rest and how I could probably count on one hand the number of times said arm rest had been cleaned in the last 20 years. As soon as these thoughts entered my mind, they were quickly brushed aside by my observation of the fact that Ella was happy and quiet. I sat back and let her suck on the arm rest.

HAPPY AND QUIET ALWAYS WINS.

But as I sat back, a curious thing happened. Images began flashing through my mind.

Ella, at Lowes, sucking on the shopping cart bar.

Ella, at Target, sucking on the shopping cart bar.

Ella, at a restuarant--actually, several different restuarants--sucking on the edge of the table.

Suddenly, where she was picking up all these germs was no longer such a mystery.

3 Comments:

  • Poor babe. She'll grow to be a nice, healthy adult. You didn't want to sleep until then anyway, right?

    By Blogger Jenn, at 1:45 PM, June 01, 2006  

  • It's those teeth, I tell ya. She can't stop herself!

    By Anonymous Whimsy Chick, at 6:54 AM, June 02, 2006  

  • Jenn, You make a good point. I'd been doing all this sleeping for the past 30 years. It only seems fair to take off 18 years from sleeping, yes? I must look at it this way from here on out!

    Kerrie, Damn teeth! How rude! And the kid won't even eat anything...er, except dog bones and mass transit arm rests.

    By Blogger Oz, at 2:51 PM, June 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home