The Baby Bean Blog

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Eight Months Down, One to Go

My partner is now 36 weeks pregnant. It's the homestretch if you will.

She never particularly relished being pregnant they way that some women do, but it was not too difficult for her. But now here, at the end, it's getting harder: she's more tired and more uncomfortable. Ella still has this cold/virus thing, and that means that none of us are sleeping well at night. I'm sure that doesn't help matters any.

We met with our doula again yesterday. Have I ever mentioned that we decided to hire a doula for my partner's labor and birth? I can't remember, so if I'm repeating myself, I apologize. We decided to hire one because we felt like there was one of me and two people who might need me at the same time: my partner and Ella.

I have mentioned Ella's food issues, which basically means that at least 95% of what she consumes in a day is breastmilk. Another of her issues is refusal to take a bottle. Those two things together mean that she needs me to be around.

My partner, ideally, would like me to be around, too, but she can understand why I might not be able to whereas Ella cannot. So we hired a doula.

The plan is for all of us to go to the birth center together. As long as Ella is happy playing with the doula, I will be with my paartner. When Ella needs to eat--or just needs a little Mommy time--the doula will be with my partner. Since we're doing this at a birth center, it's a home-like environment, and we can all be together in the bedroom/birthing room or Ella can go to the family room or kitchen area if/when things are too intense in the bedroom. Hopefully, this will work out for the best for both my partner and Ella, and I can be there for both of them when they need me.

There is another upside of hiring a doula--one I had not anticiapated. We've had two lengthy prenatal appointments with Jessica (the doula), including yesterday, and one of the things that's been great about these meetings is that they really give us some time to concentrate on my partner's pregnancy. In general, Ella is the focus of our lives (you're shocked, I know), so having that time with the doula to be about my partner's pregnancy and birth has been really valuable.

Our meeting yesterday was also a reminder of where we are in this pregnancy--close to the end! It's exciting. Perhaps because of yesterday's meeting, last night I had a very vivid dream about the Expected One's birth. It was a boy!

4 Comments:

  • I know it's a bit early, I'm sending good vibes for your partner to have a MUCH easier delivery than you did. :)

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 10:04 AM, June 10, 2006  

  • I think the doula is one of those things I should have had. Luckily, with the second birth, I had a great midwife at the hospital and she was with me a lot. Good Luck to you guys!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 11:27 AM, June 11, 2006  

  • Kerrie, Thanks for the vibes and keep sending them! I hope that her birth is easier too. Although I did just watch A Baby Story on TLC where a first time mom gave birth vaginally to a 9 pound, 9 ounce baby, and she had 3rd or 4th degree tearing--through her rectum and all. Yikes! 9 pounds, 9 ounces was Ella's exact weight, so maybe things worked out for the best there, eh?

    Jenn, I'm very happy we decided to hire a doula. It's really made me much more relaxed about how we'll work out the logistics of all this. And everyone I know or have heard of who used a doula had a good experience and was happy they'd made that decision.

    By Blogger Oz, at 2:37 PM, June 12, 2006  

  • thanks for the blog

    By Anonymous vikramsingh, at 12:41 AM, December 14, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home