The Baby Bean Blog

Monday, June 12, 2006

Falling, or Not So Much

Ella is getting better and better at this walking unassisted thing, which is great except... The girl does not have a lot of experience falling. You see, I'm always there. Always. I catch her. She doesn't fall. I'm there so much, so close, that one of my friends thinks that Ella's first words will be, "Back off, Mom."

This being so close thing hasn't really been an issue up until now. But now I'm a little worried. If she had learned how to fall earlier, from lower heights, maybe she would be better equipped for falls from higher heights and faster speeds. In addition, if I wasn't so (okay I'll say it) enabling of her walking while holding onto our fingers, she would not go nearly as fast. She's also used to leaning forward on our fingers, so when she walks on her own, she's always leaning forward.

Well, I guess all of this is to say that I'm certain there are some nasty falls in her future. When I imagine other kids learning how to walk, they certainly fall, but they fall onto their bottoms, or they know how to hold out their hands to break their fall, or something like this. Ella looks like she's about to go crashing face first into the ground--or the corner of a table--before I catch her.

If you have kids and you remember this time--learning to walk--what do you think? Am I being paranoid? Or do I have a point?

4 Comments:

  • She is bound to get one or two good cracks on the head and there's probably not much you can do about that. The more she walks, the better she'll be. And consequently the more she walks, the more she'll fall. Feel better yet?

    By Blogger Jenn, at 5:22 PM, June 12, 2006  

  • I had two walking at the same time. There was no way to always catch both of them when they needed me, so we had falls. I only remember the one incident at my brother-in-law's house.

    Maybe if you let her fall on surfaces which won't hurt her too badly. You know, like carpeting, or grass. Even face first, she'll be more shocked than hurt. She's going to have to learn about gravity sooner or later, right?

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 8:51 PM, June 12, 2006  

  • I guess I could take her out to some grass and let her just fall down. From what I've seen of more competent walkers, walking on grass is another level of difficulty, so I don't think she'd be able to walk much. But she would be able to fall down! As for falling in our house, we have hardwood floors and some area rugs, but there's no padding under the area rugs, so it would be a pretty hard landing.

    Well, I guess it'll all happen when it happens. I haven't gotten up the nerve to just let her fall on her own, but I have been trying to remember to let "controlled" falls happen. What I mean by that is when she goes off balance, instead of just holding her up, I let her fall to the ground as I hold her so she doesn't hit too hard. What can I say! Apparently, I'm an over-protective mother hen!

    By Blogger Oz, at 10:44 PM, June 17, 2006  

  • It was nice blog and thanks for sharing.

    By Anonymous prasad, at 1:24 AM, October 02, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home