The Baby Bean Blog

Monday, June 05, 2006

Gay Nanny!

I got an email with the subject line "Gay Nanny!" about a week ago. Since I have become terrified of having two infants to take care of, a little help seemed like a good idea. This girl was looking for fulltime work, and my partner and I do not have the resources for that, but it seems like there's a "nanny-share" trend going on, so I emailed her to see if she would consider splitting her time, and if she would, we would be interested in some of it. As it turns out. she was already talking to another woman about working 30 hours a week, leaving 10 hours available. Perfect! Well, perhaps not for my sanity, but for our budget.

She's moving to Philadelphia in the fall, so the gig wouldn't start until then, but that should be just fine as my partner will be home until then on maternity leave. The Lesbian Nanny (let's call her that, shall we?) was in Philadelphia this weekend, however, so we set up a time to meet.

She took the regional rail out to our place, and I met her at the train stop. I'd sent her some links to pictures of us so that she would know what we looked like. Not that the local train stop was hopping at 9:30am on a Saturday morning, but I thought she might like a peak at us. I didn't know what she looked like, though, so as I sat at the train stop and waited, I wondered. How butch? How femme? In other words, what kind of lesbian were we dealing with here?

The train arrived, and people filed off. Mostly middle-aged, very clearly straight people. One 50-ish heterosexual couple even blatantly flaunted their sexuality by walking arm and arm. The nerve! And then she arrived, and I knew exactly what kind of lesbian we were dealing with: Punk Lesbian.

She had dark brown hair that had been dyed platinum blonde at some point because about an inch of the tips remained that color. And I think she might have been sporting a mohawk at that time, because the top and back of her hair was longer than the sides, and that was also the part that was blonde. Besides her hair, she also had a nose piercing and a lip piercing.

In other words, her entire persona screamed one word: NANNY.

I walked her back to our house, and we spent a good deal of time together (with Ella and my partner of course). Lesbian Nanny seems like a nice person and has been taking care of kids for quite some time now. She's also an artist (naturally). And like most people (in my experience) who seem odd on the outside, she came across as a "normal", middle class, suburbia-raised person.

So we're going to offer her the gig. I think that our kids deserve a gay, punk nanny, don't you?

4 Comments:

  • The Gay Punk Nanny - isn't that the name of the new tv show on Fox?

    By Blogger Jenn, at 7:18 PM, June 05, 2006  

  • If it isn't, it should be!

    By Blogger Oz, at 5:26 AM, June 06, 2006  

  • I know this is the BABY Bean Blog, but I would sooo love to hear you run down a list of the different types of lesbians, with complete descriptions, of course.

    By Blogger Whimsy Chick, at 9:58 AM, June 06, 2006  

  • You have become quite the commenter, Kerrie! It's quite nice. And as your reward, I might do just what you ask. I'm about to hire Janeth for the redesign, and now you will be the first to know that there's going to be a new blog in town. The focus will still be the kid(s), because that is the focus of my life, but I'm going to open it up...and most likely go back to the name of my original blog--the Bean Blog, although I am willing to hear other ideas if you have any.

    By Blogger Oz, at 9:49 AM, June 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home